Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review of Ray Sostre's The Girl Upstairs


Scrolling down to start reading The Girl Upstairs, I came across the dedications and I am touched at how many people have encouraged Ray to write. The names mentioned, as well as the excerpt I read recently, had me extremely eager to get in to this review.

Ray paints an intriguing picture, and pulls the drape back one corner and a time, just enough to keep me reading, enjoying and savouring each titbit of information.

In most books today, the speech between the characters is ‘proper’ speech; grammatically correct and not a heap of slang or shortened words. I love it like that myself, but the speech Ray allows his characters, being more casual and ‘normal’ is just as enjoyable. It allowed me to get a real feel for the characters. The playful banter is natural and cheeky and I found myself grinning over it on more than one occasion.

I particularly enjoyed the aural voyeurism at the end of the first chapter; Ray has a real grip on realistic details and it shows. He cuts to the chase with the story, and has a no-nonsense style that leaves it clutter-free. Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly relish stories with ‘fluff’, but every now and then it is nice to come across a story that is clean and sharp with the plot. This is one of those stories.

The heat levels in this book are ferocious and I found it hard to keep a professional tone to this review due to how wrapped up I became. Ray knows just how to draw in an unsuspecting reader, please their mind silly and leave them recreationally sated.
Check out the Special Midweek Promo of The Girl Upstairs for purchase links.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am glad you liked the way the story, and I encourage others to see for themselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Missy Martine, and you're most welcome, Ray!
    I'm always happy to tell authors how much I love their work. This is definitely one people should check out, it's excellent!!

    ReplyDelete